Sunday 8 April 2007

Apr 8: Monster Hands Beaten ($156 - Down $110)

Having one of those days where I cant get a win for love nor money. Leaving aside my self-destruction at the $300K guaranteed I am having a day where I keep busting out of SNG tables when my monster hands are being beaten by even bigger monsters.

In 5 games so far, check out the following 4 bust-outs :

(1) Full house beaten : Opponent gets quad kings (pocket kings, hits his quad on the river). I'm out
(2) Trip Aces beaten - Playing A10, the flop comes AA2 - TRIP ACES, yeehaa. The other guy bets small, i reraise small, he reraises all in, i call. He shows AJ, edging out my kicker. I'm out
(3) Flush on the flop beaten by better flush on the flop - I limped in with J10 hearts, and flop a flush, with Ah-Qh on the board. Guy bets all into me, I call in a heartbeat. He shows 2 hearts, king high. Nut flush beats my 2nd nut flush. I'm out
(4) Trip 7's beaten - I limp in with pocket 77. Flop comes A 7 2. Guy bets all in into me. I call. He shows pocket aces for a set of aces. I'm out

I have thought about all of these hands, and cant see how I could have put down any of them, really. Massive hands where I get the action I badly wanted. And lost every one - drawing pretty close to dead on all of them. None were a classic "bad beat" - I was behind on every hand when the money went in.

Days like this are really hard to take, in terms of state of mind. Massive hands falling in my lap that I have to play, but opponents getting dealt even bigger monsters. Individually, any one bust-out can easily fall into the "variance" category (or "shit happens" as it is better known). When you get a run like the above in 4 out of 5 games, it falls into a new category of "I'm cursed" (better known as "this much shit is not meant to happen to one person, surely?").

When I feel cursed like this, I need to take a break. I am now in a state where I am apprehensive to play ANY hand. I mean if these monsters dont hold up, what the hell would I do with a rubbish hand like top two pair, or top-pair top top kicker? Garbage hands like that wouldnt stand up to anything.

Add on top my self inflicted horrors in the $300K Guaranteed, and its a full on "I hate poker" day today.

Time to take a rest from the carnage.

RESULTS
Games Played
4 x $22 SNG (6 seater, standard)
1 x $22 SNG (10 seater, speed)
Wins
None - 5 losses
Bankroll
Down $110 (to $156)