Thursday 19 April 2007

Apr 18 : 8 Game losing streak ($883 : Down $123)

The 4-digit bankroll didnt last long - sustained a net loss $123, nullifying much of my gains from yesterday. Strangely enough despite playing 13 games today without a single victory, I was actually playing pretty well - better, in fact, than earlier in the week when I was gaining money. Such a strange game sometimes.

RESULTS
Games Played
1 x $55 SNG (10 Seater)
8 x $22 SNG (6 Seater)
4 x $22 SNG (10 Seater, Speed)
Wins
4 money finishes, 9 non-money finishes
2 x 2nds (6 Seater), 1 x 2nd (10 Seater Speed), 1 x 3rd (10 Seater Speed)
Bankroll
SNG Cost of play $319, Winnings $196, Net Loss of $123
Bankroll down from $1006 to $883

It started badly in a $55 room. I had decided a while ago that if I ever made it to a $1000 bankroll, I would treat myself to a game in a $55 SNG, just to see what the standard was, and having creeped above the magic figure, I kept my promise.

With a little apprehension, I started the 10 seater game, expecting to see a real marked increase in the standard of play to what I was used to. In reality, the standard of play was frankly abysmal - 4 or even 5 of the players were classic maniacs/calling stations, playing as though it was a play money room. The standard of play was shockingly poor, but my luck was not going to allow me to take advantage - as having flopped a set, I induced an all in bet from a maniac who made a very bad call with only an inside straight draw, which he hit, of course, knocking me out.

I found it pretty surprising really,the poor standard of play from so many players. I had always assumed the level of play would be better at the higher buy in levels, and have been a little intimidated to try my hand in them. I felt the same entering a $55 tourney last week - again, to be shocked by the abject coin-flipping taking place from large numbers of players. Perhaps there are easier pickings in those rooms than I had previously thought.

The main problem is that my bankroll couldnt currently sustain a long losing streak in the $55 buy-ins. And a day like today is a constant reminder that losing streaks can pop-up from nowhere, through no fault of your own.

Today I played 13 games without a win, including starting the day with an 8 game streak without a single money finish. I kept notes - in 6 of those 8 games I was busted out at critcial stages playing well and getting my money in ahead, but having hands outdrawn time after time after time.

I took it pretty well, though, actually. I was focussing so hard on not going on tilt, to try to stick to my gameplan. By the 5th, 6th, 7th loss it was getting pretty hard, and the 8th game of the streak nearly drove me insane! The table was the "wild west" variety, with maniacs going all-in at the drop of a hat, in the course of the game I got dealt AA, AA, KK, KK, QQ, and AK, but couldnt get any action whatsoever with a single hand.

Three of those hands hit me in the Big Blind, with EVERYONE folding, including the small blind, unbelievable. The rest were scared off by minimum raises from me in early position. If it was a super-tight table, i could have understood it. This was an all-in-fest though, so to not get any action at all on these huge starting hands was incredible! On the very few occasions I DID get action, I was outdrawn. Just "one of those days", for sure.

Took a break after that game to compose myself, and came back with some hard-earned money finishes - stringing together 4 money finishes in 5 games to reduce the losses for the day to a more manageable level, although failing to actually win a match outright (again, getting money all-in ahead several times heads up without reward).

I am actually happy with the days performance - the losing streak was much more attributable to bad luck than bad play (although that always plays its part), and I held it together. My gains on some days earlier in the week were probably more attributable to good luck, so I guess that streak is just my luck evening itself out.

Lessons Learned
I am improving my ability to stay off tilt - I managed to maintain my game (for the most part) in the face of a long losing streak - it did degenerate a little, but nowhere near as much as it did on my last losing streak of this nature. Definitely progress made.

No comments: