Saturday 14 April 2007

Apr 13: In the Money every time ($ 693 : Up $158)

A mini landmark - my first day of poker where I finished in the money in every game played (made easier by 3 of them being heads up, but still, its the principle).

RESULTS
Games Played
3 x $22 SNG (2 Seater, Speed)
1 x $22 SNG (10 Seater, Standard)
1 x $22 SNG (6 Seater, Standard)
Wins
5 money finishes, 0 non-money finishes
3 x Win (Heads Up), 1 x Win (10 Seater), 1 x 2nd (6 Seater)
Bankroll
Cost of play $110, Winnings $268, Net gain of $158
Bankroll up from $535 to $693)


Conscious of my recent struggles in SNG once it gets heads-up I decided to repeat my previous tactic of playing a bunch of heads up games, for the practice. As before, I decided to stick to the $6 buy ins, to keep it cheap. Won the first 2 with good aggressive play, and part way through the third game, I realised I was mistakenly in the $22 buy ins, rather than the $6 I had intended, and that I had been for the first 2 games too! Somehow in the excitement I had been missing the messages telling me the cost, and the messages telling me my winnings.

Still, with good play (although with more tension) I took down the third game as well, giving me a hat-trick of wins.

A couple of things occurred to me from this experience
  • I did not feel I was playing a better class of opponent in those 3 games, than in my previous $6 rooms
  • In fact, all 3 opponent were more easily bullied by button raises, and raises from the BB after they had limped in with the small blind.
  • It was harder for me to be aggressive once I knew I was playing for $22, rather than $6. My instinct was to be a bit more conservative, but I did manage to fight off that urge and make myself play the same way I had in the first 2 games. It paid off.
I then ventured to the SNG tables, and won a 10 seater that was very pleasing from a number of angles.
  • I didn't make any big mistakes
  • I got hurt a couple of times by people chasing straights/flushes without getting steamed or going on tilt.
  • I managed to lay down AKs early in the game after being re-raised preflop by 2 players with bigger stacks . It turned they had pocket JJ and pocket QQ respectively, and one of them was busted out at the end of the hand. It felt good to be able to lay down a good hand like this and live to fight another day. As it happened, I would have won with a straight on the river, but I wasnt bothered. Had a warm glow of having made a good decision, rather than coin flipping.
  • Also managed to lay down a pair of 10s against a strong reraise from a tight player - he showed pocket Kings. I would have definitely gone bust on that a few weeks ago. Warm glow of satisfaction
  • The net effect of the above was that I was shortish-stacked (about 1300 chips) with only 5 players left. I then managed to dial up my aggression as the blinds rose, pushing my chips a bit earlier than I normally would as other players tightened up. I won two coin flips, which got me amongst the leaders and in a position to win the thing. Not being scared to get knocked out on the bubble had paid off.
  • Made it heads up, and played a great game to dominate from the button, and the guy bet all-into me when i had flopped a strong hand, I called, he was bluffing and I won.
I felt really good after this win, perhaps more than any other, as I managed to string together several aspects of play that I have struggled with to date:
  • Laying down quality pocket cards when I think I am probably beaten
  • Going up through the gears as the bubble approaches
  • Good strategic heads up play
The challenge it to repeat this on a regular basis. Also played a good game in the following 6 seater, although on this occasion I entered heads up at a 6:1 chip disadantage. Still, with my improved heads up play I got it back to a 2:1 disadvantage over 10-15 hands, but then lost a coin flip. Very happy with my overall play though.

Seeing real signs of progress, which is very encouraging



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.